Tuesday 12 February 2013

Turning 30

So then, the big 30 crept up on me at the weekend! I haven't been scared or bothered about it, more just a feeling of "feck I'm halfway to 60!"

I'd asked Ant to plan something to celebrate. Not a massive thing with lots of expense, just something my friends could afford to attend and it not be too big a fuss. I gave him a list of my friends who I thought could practicably attend and left it at that.
On the morning of my birthday I woke up to cuddles with my gorgeous baby girl and a treasure hunt of presents, including a teeny penny farthing from Queen Victoria's reign, a Radio Times from the week I was born, a comic book cover of me depicted as a superhero called Black Canary drawn by my rather clever husband, an acorn charm to reflect my hometown as the acorn is its symbol, a Daily Prophet newspaper article all about my alternate ego's escapades at Hogwarts poisoning people and escaping Azkaban, and other silly presents which fitted into the treasure hunt theme of them being my "horcruxes" (did I mention I was a massive Harry Potter geek?!) One was even buried in the garden but obviously I made Ant go and get that one as it was freezing outside!

So that was lots of fun and I must express my thanks and love for my hubby at this point. He put so much effort into it all and each of my gifts were so thoughtful.

After all this excitement it was time to pack Baby V up ready to go to her grandparents as they had kindly offered to have her for the night so we could have a night off. It was Violet's first time being away from both of us and I was a little sad but she sees them a lot and apparenty was a complete dream, she ate well, slept well and played well, a very happy and proud mammy I was!
So we hiked it over to Manchester, stayed until she went down for a nap and scooted back to Leeds to get in party mode.
When we got home the house was so quiet and felt very empty! We tidied up a little and shortly afterwards my lovely friend Jo arrived. Not only had she brought me an amazing homemade birthday cake covered in little iced violets, but she had a milk jug made for me and she had hand painted a watercolour of violets and had it printed onto the jug along with the date of my 30th birthday inside, I was astonished that she went to so much trouble, it was really lovely.
We chilled out and chatted for a while and decided to crack open a bottle of pink champagne I got given when Violet was born, it was scrumptious! As it turns out getting ready and applying make up take a lot longer after a bottle of champers, but we got there eventually with eye liner intact! We lit my birthday candles and Jo and Ant sang me Happy Birthday, then Ant had to leave to do secret stuff at the venue. Rach and Rob came round shortly after and she got me my only helium balloon (I like to get balloons, then it really feels like a party!) and her mammy, whom I have also known since I was 9, had knitted me one of her classic retro fair isle jumpers! I was pretty chuffed to say the least! So then we all headed out to town.
I arrived and there was my lonesome husband sat in a corner adorned with bunting saying "Happy 30th Birthday Vic", flags with different photos of me on each one, numerous wall mounted photos of me depicted as the Queen and one of my lovely baby to make sure she was with us! The bar, called The Backroom, was fab. Its a fairly new bar on Call Lane and the staff were so helpful. They had filled a table with everything we needed to make gin & tonics and also included some old fashioned sweets which we all scoffed! The music was fab and they played numerous requests, although I drank too much gin to remember them all but I do remember my request of No Diggity coming on and being rather excited!
The night consisted of catching up with all my lovely friends, hearing their exciting news, getting some lovely gifts, free jaegerbombs, a bit of crying, a bit of dancing, shouting at a young trashy tart (she shouted first!) and wobbling home and eating a homemade paella pizza as the takeaway had shut! All in all, a successful day and night!
Needless to say the next day consisted of being in a daze, eating dirty mcdonalds breakfast, having to drive in the snow over to Manchester to pick Violet up, coming home and going to bed shortly after Violet did! So yes, Sunday was a write off!

Once again, thank you to my lovely friends for coming and celebrating my birthday. Thank you for all my lovely gifts. Thanks to Jo for my cake and helping Ant in planning and making all the decorations. Most of all thank you to my wonderful and thoughtful husband for making my 30th very special and making sure I had a great time, which I did.

ttfn, Vic




















1 comment: